Trust the Gene Genie

Friday, April 01, 2005

I've been accused of being a music snob. As you can see, I've clearly come down hard on Dave for being a Creed fan and as such negate most of his music opinions because he's a fan.

I should say, I've always tried to keep the attitude live and let live. When it comes to music, listen to whatever floats your boat -- I won't judge.

But I draw the line at people who have scienfically provable bad taste in music yet 1. claim they have excellent taste in music and 2. scorn others for that they deem as their bad taste in music (And I know this is where I teeter on hypocrisy).

But don't get the wrong idea. I'm really not this anal. And I'm a big fan of the guilty pleasure -- you know, typically bad music you like regardless (I've been known to crack out the Enrique Iglesias and Huey Lewis and the News from time to time). But by very nature of being a guilty pleasure, you're acknowledging the music is bad. And that's the problem, it would seem in Dave's case, there's no guilt. He's arguing the music is good to begin with.

And, in the end I wouldn't care about any of this. Exept that he continually tries to argue the point that U2 is a sucky band, when obvioulsy we can all see this simply isn't the case. I easily acknowledge there are people on this planet who don't like U2 or can't stand Bono, but most of those people fess up to the fact that the band is dang good at what they do. Start arguing something else and I'm gonna come down on you like a ton of Barry Manilow records.

No comments:

Popular Posts